AndyC_772;206677 Wrote:
> The .1 is a bass channel, but it's not quite the same thing as a
> subwoofer channel. It's band limited but also has a 6dB gain difference
> from the main channels, so it can carry higher levels without
> saturating.
>
> The AV amp, however, doesn't just route this channel straight to the
> sub - instead it may mix in low frequencies from the main channels
> and/or route some frequencies from the .1 channel back into the main
> mix. For this it does need the A/D converter.
>
> For what it's worth, the DSP-A1 does have pre-out/power-in jumpers,
> maybe I should try these - though that would mean using the SB3's
> digital attenuation which means it's not really a fair comparison.

No, it would not use digital attenuation. That's the point of the
experiment. Your just using the analog amp of the receiver. And the
DAC/Anolog preamp of the SB3.

Some receivers WILL process the 5.1/7.1 inputs some will not. Some will
still apply room correction in digital domain and therefore do ADC.

No receiver will do anything past the jumpers though (if you have
them). That is a pure analog at that point. Even volume should be
bypassed.

--
mswlogo