Actually I'm using PCM1704 chips, the data stream from the SB3 (its
actually left justified not I2S) gets split into the two right
justified streams for the 1704s in the FPGA in the DAC box, the two
data signals and bclk and wclk are reclocked by single gate flops (TI
little logic) driven by the selected low jitter clock, the flops are
right next to the DAC chips.

The output stage is a discrete MOSFET IV and buffer design of mine, it
runs at fairly high voltage and current, IMO it sounds better than
OP-amp or BJT descrete output stages, but is large and produces a fair
amount of heat. (I did it this way to get the best linearity out of the
MOSFETs, not to "power" the load).

This gives considerably lower jitter than feeding the same clock into
the FPGA in the SB3 and directly using its outputs. The FPGA  adds some
jitter to the signals, at about 35ps instead of 8ps for the way I did
it. I can hear the difference it makes.

Of course putting the low jitter clock in the SB3 and having the FPGA
directly driving a very good DAC and output stage will still sound very
good, considerably better than what is in there now AND be much simpler
than what I did, but hey I was after the best I could do.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson