brjoon1021 wrote:
> 1. What is the best format for keeping as much or all of the sound
that
> is on the CD when burning the CD to the Hard disk ? I have both
Linux
> and Win XP on my computer?

FLAC. BTW it's called ripping :-) Burning is the other direction.

I use debian for my file (including music) server. The server software,
called slimserver, is open source and a doddle to install and keep up to
date since there is a debian package for it.

The power button starts this Linux machine up and sends a ctr-alt-del
to shut down, so I use this file server really as an appliance. No need
to have a keyboard or screen attached. I can ssh myself a shell or X app
when I need to.

I bought the cheapest desktop system I could get (180 GBP) and
additionally ordered two SATA 400Gb disks inside. One is the main disk,
the other is the backup disk. I don't use RAID because I want two
ordinary disks. I don't want to get a power outage or other hardware
failure in the middle of clever RAID ops. Luckily the package 'unison'
makes backups pretty much easy in batch mode.

Think about this. It is more flexible and future-proof than putting the
music on your regular desktop.

> 2. Where do you guys get good Hi-Fi downloads (as opposed to 128K) ?

I advise not buying downloads but CDs instead. Downloads are mostly not
CD quality. Downloads often have DRM. Even the rest cannot be replaced
if you lose the data on your computer. Yes I have a good backup system
but it's always nice to have the artwork and shiny disc, which of
course you can always use in any legacy home or car stereo. My 0.02's
worth.

> recommendations or thoughts about my choices ? Would you buy the
> Squeezebox over again?

I haven't used a Transporter. The SB3 is a good mid-end device but my
experience is that it doesn't measure up to my CD transport. Yes, in
theory it should. No, in practice it doesn't. Still sounds good
though.

> 4. I also need to buy a wireless router, my wired router is on the
> blink. Do you have any recommendations or warnings for me about
which
> routers to buy or avoid?

Anything will do. I use a Netgear and I'm happy with it.

> 5. I will be using the Squeezebox version 3 (or 4 if out soon) into
an
> audible illusions modulus II Preamp with analog inputs. Do you think
> that this will offer pretty good sound (mostly the analog inputs, I
> know the preamp is good...) ?

See comments above. Bear in mind that even amongst those who rave about
the SB3, there are some have who shelled out for a Transporter in their
main system. Why?

> 6. What is/are the best bang-for-buck mods for this device ?

I, like many here, have changed to a linear, regulated power supply. It
is a UK supply from CPC:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/Batteries+&+Power+Supplies/AC+to+DC/UNBRANDED/AD-05150R/displayProduct.jsp?sku=PW00187

The SB3 comes with a cheap switching supply, but I believe the
Transporter comes with a linear supply.

> 7. Does the wireless version also allow for hardwire connection to
> router ?

Yes.

Regards, Darren

--