melomaniac;211069 Wrote:
> how do people feel about the predecessor, the Channel Islands Audio
> VDA-1 DAC? is it an improvement over the analog out of the SB3?
>
> I am trying to decide between an inexpensive DAC like this one, and an
> upgraded power supply. which would make more of a difference?

What works best for you (or me) may not be the preference of someone
else.  I recently sold my Meridian 556 DAC to someone who really liked
the sound of his Meridian 508 CD player.  For him the sound of this DAC
was perfect.  I to preferred the Meridian over the CIAudio but 1) my
wife likes the VDA better and 2) the Meridian is very large and I'm
short on space.

Think about where you want your money to go and you may find that other
upgrades are more worthwhile than a DAC.  I wouldn't jump on the DAC
band-wagon if I needed to upgrade my speakers for example.  The
internal DAC in the SB3 is pretty good.  A DAC should be used to
compliment your system.  The VDA-2 with my tube amp and Fostex drivers
deliver a very good sound - to me.

But, to quote CIAudio's website:  "Order factory direct today on our
30-day satisfaction guarantee* and get FREE shipping**"

--
kphinney

SB3
Krell KAV 250CD