I did a recent test with the following DAC's:

MF X24k
MF XDAC V3
Meridian 203
Quad CDP-2
Benchmark DAC1

and out of the lot I think the Meridan (being quite old) sound quite
boxed in whilst the XDAC V3 sounded quite thin and extended the top end
too much for me almost harsh and I have had a lot of MF kit (nice detail
though).  Surprisingly the X24K DAC sounded nice and warm with a good
bit of detail - very listenable.  The Quad CDP-2 sounded as better than
the others although the presentation was more forward and not as 3-D as
the X-DAC V3.

Suffice it to say that the benchmark was the best IMO, very 3-d
(soundstage behind the speakers) with great detail and not a jot of
harshness!

All IMO etc. etc. :)

--
gsrai