With some of the lesser known products available from overseas, you have
lots of options to choose from. You may want to check out Pacific Valve
and Electric.  They offer a wide range of DACs that are real giant
killers and won't break the bank. Regarding the Benchmark DAC-1, I have
not heard one, so you can take the following comments as you see fit...

I seriously considered the Benchmark, and was convinced it was just a
question of when not if I would order one.  But as I did more homework
on the unit, I found 2 things that ruled it out for me: in nearly every
shootout I saw where the Benchmark was compared with other DACs, the
Benchmark always seemed to come out on the bottom.  Second, many folks
complained that, while revealing, the Benchmark was clinical sounding
and was not something they could live with long-term.  As I was looking
for something that approximated the sound of vinyl, that pretty much
ruled out the Benchmark for me. That said, I know the Benchmark has a
loyal following, so if it's your cup of tea, you can usually find them
on Audiogon for $200 - $300 under retail.

Lastly, zanash mentioned the Behringer SRC2496.  As he noted, it is
supposed to have pretty respectable DAC; but equally important, it
upsamples to 24 bit / 96kHz and provides jitter control, all for about
$129 online.   I have been researching this unit recently and will
probably add one to my system, using it upstream from my Musiland
MD-10. From what I've read, the jitter control and upsampling can make
even a budget-priced DAC compete with the big dogs like Lavry and
Benchmark.

--
Videodrome

Two-channel System:
SB3, into Musiland MD-10 DAC;
Outlaw 970 Pre/Pro;
McCormack DNA-125 amplifier;
Quad 11L speakers;
Sota Sapphire ttbl. w/ Grado Ref. Platinum Cart. into Rolls Bellari
VP-129 tube phono stage;
Marantz 10b;
Nakamichi RX505;
Cables Used: DH Labs, Van den Hul, Distech, Monster, many more.