drewe181;213652 Wrote:
> i can highly recommend the sonic impact super t-amp. i just purchased
> one of them and also a moodlab concept dac to use with my squeezebox.
> i'm surprised at the change they made to the sound of the squeezebox.
> unfortunately, now, some of my more poorly recorded cd's don't sound so
> good. both of these were bought for a little over $AU500 so for a budget
> system i find them pretty good value. As for my speakers, i found them
> in the street and had only needed to change the tweeters as one of them
> had blown.
> for a little over a grand in total (incl. squeezebox) it's a pretty
> decent choice i believe.
>
> -D

Great advice there.

Though I didn't find my speakers in the street, shoving a pair of wide
range Fostex 8" drivers (fe206- $120/pr new on ebay) into an old bose
cabinet is only slightly less punk rock. De-constructed hi fi is all
the rage. Thankfully it doesn't cost an arm+leg, unlike the
de-constructed clothing the GF is so fond of.

I use a sonic impact sometimes, and if you can go easy on the output
wattage they sound very three dimensional. Some say tubey as well, but
to my ears the jolida tube amp I have is more accurate, especially in
the low range, and far more eerily lifelike in the midrange, possibly
due to the mile long decay of the sounds.

There is a tripath based amp called Trends that gets good press, and
may be a wiser investment than a stock sonic impact. You'd still have
to go easy on the volume, but with a well matched speaker, some room
placement/treatment experimentation, and maybe an external DAC and
subwoofer, one can go into hi fi shops and not be jealous.

--
Skunk