opaqueice;214902 Wrote:
> It's not about prediction - despite the symmetry, even golf ball dimples
> are designed mostly by trial and error.  It may be counterintutive, but
> Tyler is right.  Rough surfaces create a layer of turbulent air around
> the object, and that often lowers the overall drag force.

Sorry, guys.  I gotta call a BS on this.  A rough surface increases
drag.  Dimples and other effects that control vortices can improve
performance by managing air separation over the surface.  On airplanes,
we use vortex generators to do this.  Dirt on a car or airplane slow it
down.  I once read a CAFE study that tried to determine the performance
impact of waxing an airplane.  They concluded there was none, but
discovered about a 1% increase in top speed by removing bugs and dirt
from all surfaces.

-Ben

--
Ben Diss