Videodrome;217008 Wrote:
> I thought there is one key difference in that upsampling is done
> completely in the digital domain upstream from the DAC (as is the case
> with my Behringer SRC2496).

Sorry no, both upsampling and oversampling are done completely in the
digital domain.  Where exactly it's done is hardware dependent. Older
hardware tends to split the oversampling and actual Digital to Analog
Conversion (DAC) into two chips, for example my Sonic Frontiers DAC
uses a Pacific Microsonics HDCD filter chip to do the upsampling, and a
Burr Brown DAC chip to do the actual digital to analog conversion.
Newer hardware, like an SB3 or Transporter has a more complicated DAC
chip which performs both functions internally.  But regardless of the
hardware, in both cases the oversampling is done in the digital domain,
before the conversion to analog.

Cheers,  Dave

--
DCtoDaylight