slimkid;218394 Wrote:
> And again. What is the purpose of the manual if it isn't accurate?

Of course a manual should be accurate (and as far as I know, every one
I have written was at the time it was issued). The critical point you
are missing is that the purpose of a manual is to instruct users how to
operate a product. It is not for the purpose of enticing purchase.
That's what advertising is for. Manufacturers are legally required to
deliver what they advertise, but the same legal standard does not apply
to user manuals, and never has.

Regarding the specific issue of the FF/REW description in the manual,
presumably either: a) the manual's author mistakenly assumed that it
would function a certain way (often the manual needs to be written
before the finished product is ready for testing); or b) the product
was originally intended to function the way it is described in the
manual, but the engineers were unable to comply, because it turned out
to be too difficult, or it would have delayed the release of the
product, or other features and functions were deemed to be higher
priority, or there's a bug in the firmware, etc. That's why
"specifications are subject to change without notice." In either case,
the manual should be revised to reflect actual operations.

Whether the product should be revised is a business decision of the
product management team at the manufacturer, and has nothing to do with
what happens to be stated in the user manual. Sean's post that started
this thread explained in great detail why the company has not
implemented FF/REW the way you and some others would like it to work.
Frankly, I'm amazed that the CEO of the company would expend the time
and effort to make such a post. I have no doubt that he has other
important things he could be doing. But at least it's a sign that he
cares enough about his users to explain the situation, even if he can't
necessarily please everyone.

--
TiredLegs