occam;219418 Wrote:
> http://www.ewh.ieee.org/r6/san_francisco/pes/pes_pdf/PGE_Presentation_TransformerHum.pdf
>
> The Creek amps were/are well known for their toroid transformers
> humming with the presence of an dc on mains lines (easily seen with a
> dual trace scope with both ac and dc coupling), and the elimination of
> such demonstably eliminates that hum -
> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=104626&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

OK, it's a fair cop, there appear to be some situations where you do
get parasitic DC - I can't really argue with the PG&E article, though
their DC was on the 230kV HV side. Presumably 4A on that side counts
for more than 4A would on someone's long way downstream 110V side since
there are proportionally more turns to create a greater magnetic field.

--
ermine