GlennT;219568 Wrote:
> I don't consider myself an audiophile, but even I believe I didn't spend
> enough time auditioning speakers when I made my purchases.  I just
> couldn't wait any longer, and I'm still very happy with my decision.
> The two shops I spent most of my time in were very accommodating and
> let me sit and "soak" it all in.  My decision was slightly complicated
> by the fact that these were for a dual task rig for music and HT
> purposes, and I had a Paradigm CC-270 center that I bought with very
> little auditioning, but wanted to match.  I even brought my center in
> for comparisons.
>
> At any rate, I ended up with Paradigm Monitor 7 floorstanders v4.  For
> my novice ears, they do good justice to good music, while having good
> range for movies.  They're certainly good enough that I can find faults
> I hadn't previously heard and breath life into music where I never
> realized I was missing anything.  The Studio 20 bookshelves would have
> been just $100 or so more.  My uncle has those, and they sound
> absolutely fantastic.  Besides the fact that I really wanted
> floorstanders (looks + cats + curious newborn), they were just out of
> my budget and I decided the 7s would be better for movies.  My amp for
> my sub died 6 months ago, and even I often forget it's missing at times
> (music has always sounded better without it).  But, the 20's are
> certainly worth looking into if you can afford it.  My uncle's are on
> his dedicated 2 channel rig, without a sub, and he LOVES it.
>
> FYI, I'm running a Yamaha RX-V1300 behind those towers.
>
> Also, see if your dealer will allow you to take speakers home to
> audition, once you've narrowed down your options of course.  If not,
> find out about their return policy.  I believe most are pretty
> forgiving, but once you buy from them, either their policy or your
> conscious may dictate that your money stay there.  My 7s sounded
> completely different in our home, and were a little bright until I
> found an arrangement (both the speakers and the furniture in the entire
> room) that gave satisfactory results.  That's a huge plus for Axiom,
> though shipping is often a killer.

You might reconsider using a sub with your HT application as some of
todays movie scores and especially added sound effects can be hard
(even to the point of damage) on speakers designed for 2 channel
listening.

.

--
haunyack

Transporter -> B&K Reference 200.2 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.
(Listening room)
RWA (Analog) SB3 -> Rotel RB 1070 -> B&W Matrix 805. (Bedroom)
Fridgidare -> Mirror Pond pale ale -> easy chair w/remote -> irritated
neighbors.