I made a CD with the pink noise cited that came with the prog, had to
pad it out 1s either side and convert to 44k1 using Audition to get it
on the CD. The active part is very short. I then ran this through an
Iriver portable CD player and recorded the signal using the Sound
Devices 702. I've attached part of the residual. This time no minimum
is detectable, though the residual is much lower. The pink noise is not
steady noise - a change in tone colour is audible at several points in
it and these changes correspond to the spikes, and are curiously
repeatable across the channels - the CD source  L and R channels are
simly duplicated, but the replay and recording are two separate
channels. My recording peaks at -33dBFS and the residual is say -76dBFS
if you ignore the spikes, -51dBFS if you don't ignore them. System noise
is slightly lower than the residual - you can just see the run-in where
the noise was padded with silence before.

Being charitable to audiodiffmaker the difference between the same
thing repeated is -43dB relative to the original - if the spikes are
included the difference is -25dB. I don't think this program is
repeatable enough to show what it is supposed to show at all.

I don't share the belief that all digital paths sound the same but I
*do* think the same digital path will sound the same 10 seconds later.
I have some scores in the cable and vibration-sensitive department I
was hoping to settle with this (and I'm open to testing digital paths
that sound apparently different :) However, as it stands this program
isn't cutting it.

If it *needs* wordclock synchronised across replay and recording
systems then audiodiffmaker really ought to say so in big red letters.
Though I can synch the SD to an external source and or send wordclock
out of it I don't have have a CD player or squeezebox that can do that
so I've reached the end of the road with it. As an independent observer
I have *not* been able to replicate the results that program is claimed
to show.

|Filename: residual.jpg                                             |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3128|

ermine