Yeah, I think there's something intrinsic in online fora that leads to
that.  I guess it's the anonymity coupled with the lack of
communication that comes with pure text - in a real conversation there
are a million non-verbal cues that tell you when you've gone too far,
or that indicate irony or humor, that just get missed this way.

And the other point is that on this particular subject there's a lot of
magic and superstition and pseudo-religious faith, so maybe we should be
thankful that no one has actually been nailed to a cross over this -
yet!

--
opaqueice