VolkerR;227318 Wrote:
> There is a lot of buzz around FLAC format and I have to decide what
> format I am going to use:
>
> My criteria list is the following:
>
> 1) Sound Quality
> 2) Ease of use & Time for ripping
> 3) Database for automatic file naming of ripped tracks
> 4) Required space
>
> Any help highly appreciated.

Sound quality is identical in any lossless format.  Ripping time isn't
affected very much either (because most of the time is the actual rip,
not the encoding).  Same goes for the database - that has nothing to do
with what format you encode to.  As for space, all lossless formats are
more or less the same - roughly half the space required for WAV.

So basically it doesn't matter much in any of those categories.  What's
probably more relevant is the software that supports it.  If you want to
use itunes, go with ALAC.  If you like open source and don't care about
itunes, use FLAC.  If you like microsoft, use Windows media lossless.

And remember that you can batch-convert all your files from one format
to another more or less whenever you want, so it's really not that big
of a deal...

--
opaqueice