Hello,
being the opener of the thread cited above I can say that the digital
volume regulation is no problem as long as you have:
- 16bit redbook material
- the tp above -42db or such (below that I noticed some distortion but
might be due to my amp running at 0db for the test and getting some
overdrive.
If you had 24bit material you would indeed loose information at the
lower end of the dynamic range but even when you turn volume down by 42
db you'll end up with 17bit in theoy. If we assume that we loose another
two bits for the dac not working exactly linear we have 15bits which is
good for most of all cds since the are mastered at -8db and thereby
loosing a bit by themselves ending up with 15bits.
Bottom line: The digital volume regulation is OK exept for very extreme
and rarely encountered situations.

--
jaysung