I finally decided to connect my transporter's balanced outs directly to
my Linn Artikulat Aktiv powered speakers.  I think it sounded great
regardless of the fact that I used the digital volume to control the
volume for the speakers.  I never had to go much lower than -25db and
if I did, it would be such a background level that sound quality would
not be important.  I was easily able to get to -15 to -10db when
listening.  If it could sound much better, I don't think I was missing
much.  If someone is debating this setup, I'd probably simply try it
first before spending time and effort on some analog attenuation
inline.  My pre-amp does give me the ability to attach other sources to
the speakers with minimal sound degradation, but I think the TP direct
would be a perfectly acceptable solution if I didn't want the
flexibility of other non-digital sources.

--
thomsens