Whatever happened to listening/demoing speakers before purchase?

I'd never buy speakers based on recommendations on an audio
forum...speakers are highly subjective.  What I may love, you may hate.
There's no universal standard, otherwise there'd be only one company
making speakers.

I arrived at this conclusion after listening to some speakers which are
highly recommended at audio forums but which I hated - Paradigm.  Yuck.
I just don't like the voicing of Paradigm speakers no matter how far up
in the line I go.  Same with B&W, also highly recommended, and those
were the high-end 800Ds I was listening to.

What I *DID* like:

- Energy (ended up buying them)
- Canton (like Energy but a little more laid-back)
- Tannoy

--
Mark Lanctot