There have been a few threads on this, though I can't immediately lay my
hands on one of them.

Basically you want to use a decent stereo amp to drive your stereo
speakers, but a more basic receiver for HT, including using the same
front speakers?

Yes, this can definitely be done, I do this.  To make it work you need
first to be able to get the preamp output from your receiver for the
two front channels - if the receiver doesn't offer this (I'd be
surprised) then you're stuck.  Then you need to connect those outputs
to a spare input on the stereo amplifier: when you're playing DVDs the
signal will be decoded by the receiver, it will drive the surround
channels directly, and the fronts via your stereo amplifier.

Meanwhile you connect the SB directly to another input on the stereo
amplifier, which means you can play your stereo at good quality without
the receiver having a chance to mess it up.

One problem is that when playing DVDs you now potentially have TWO
volume controls to play with, which can be very confusing.  If the
receiver has a fixed-level output that's fine, but unlikely.  A more
likely option, especially if you are buying a new stereo amp, is to get
one with the option of fixed level inputs (sometimes called something
like HT bypass).

You last problem, a minor one, is remote controls: it can be a bit
fiddly to change everything around (you need to have up to FOUR remotes
in your hand to watch a DVD).  Harmony all-in-one remote recommended to
solve this sone!

HTH
Ceejay

--