nicketynick;245837 Wrote:
> I know I'm not going to explain this right, but I'll try, in layman's
> terms (sorry, laymen!)
> You can't just hook the NAS/router directly into a DAC - you're still
> missing the 'soundcard' function that a computer (or the SB3) provides
> in translating the digital file (.wav, eg) into a *digital audio
> signal* (is this referred to as PCM format?) that gets fed to a DAC for
> 'digital-to-analogue' conversion.
> For example, that's why the SB3/Transporter have 'digital outs'. This
> is the digital audio signal that you can feed to a DAC, after the SB3
> has already changed it from a computer file to a digital audio signal.
> Proud of myself - I think I've explained it to myself, even if nobody
> else gets it!

No, that's pretty good!

Shredder - the Ethernet interface on the SB, the Transporter and any
NAS is for computer communication only, not audio.  It can be used to
send Internet data or computer files.  The SB and Transporter use it
just like the wireless interface to receive the raw computer files.
They then decode them into audio.

What's potentially confusing you is you can use Ethernet patch cable to
send an audio signal, but really you're just using the wires as you can
use any wire.  You're not using them as computer communication conduits
at all.  You can use the SB/Transporter this way, there's gear you can
get to send the analog audio down Ethernet cable and get it back to
analog audio on the other end.  But note that we're not using the
SB/Transporter/NAS Ethernet port for this, we're merely using the
copper wire that comes in the Ethernet cable as we would any wire.

For a NAS to be used this way, it would need a sound card and they
almost always don't have one.  You'd need a PC with a proper sound
card.  It is possible with SlimServer and Softsqueeze but it's not as
elegant and simple.  With a good soundcard and a Benchmark DAC the
sound could be better than an SB alone but it will have a hard time
beating the Transporter as the Transporter's DAC and power supplies are
very good.  Using the Transporter's digital out is a waste of its DAC,
you'd really be better off with an SB + DAC or a PC + DAC.  I don't see
what advantages the PC + DAC would give you over the SB + DAC, for one
thing it would be more expensive and could never be as quiet because
there would have to be at least a hard drive in the PC.

I've been accused of being a fanboy and I don't want to dissuade you
from the PC (with soundcard) + DAC route, but in summary, a PC + DAC
may be better than an SB alone, it may not be better than an SB + DAC
and it will probably not be better than a Transporter using its
built-in DAC.

--
Mark Lanctot