Patrick Dixon;247131 Wrote:

> I understand Fourier quite well:

You certainly don't give that impression.

> I said that music is made up of many discrete frequencies which occur at
> the same time, which is perfectly consistent with Fourier.

They are not discrete.

> Most audio equipment is measured by applying a frequency sweep to the
> input, and then plotting the output response.  This is not quite the
> same as a typical RC measuring technique, which often involves feeding
> the -system- with an impulse and measuring the response, and then using
> a fourier transform to derive the frequency response.

The measurement technique is not the same, that's true.

> The reason it's not quite the same, is that with one technique, you are
> applying a discrete frequency at any instant in time, whereas with the
> other, you apply a range of frequencies simultaneously.  Because the
> measurement techniques are different, it's perfectly possible to come
> up with different results for seemingly the same parameter.

Sure, if you (or your equipment) is in error.

> For those of you reading that have not come across Mr Opaqueice (whoever
> he may be), he is my SD forum Stalker.

Don't flatter yourself.

> He has no serious interest in helping anyone here or contributing in a
> positive sense - he is here solely to save you from enjoying your music
> -because to him it all sounds the same-.

That's an interesting statement, considering how much time, money, and
energy I've spent trying to improve my sound system.  The last few
months have been particularly busy that way.

> I do make the SB+

Next time you might want to disclose that -before- talking up your own
product.

> I'll conclude with a question to those who are really interested in
> music reproduction.  How is it, that two pieces of equipment that both
> measure flat (as near as damnit), reproduce a musical impulse (say a
> drum sound) quite differently?

That would be a good question if the premise were correct, which of
course it isn't.

> Fourier says that an impulse contains a whole spectrum of frequencies,
> so if the frequency responses are really the same, then the drum should
> sound the same too ... but it doesn't.

As you ought to know very well, sounding different to you or me doesn't
mean that the audio signal was in any way different.

--
opaqueice