Stoker;245800 Wrote:

> Using Cooledit pro I then downsampled the studio master wav file to
> 24/48 using its highest quality settings, saved it and flac encoded
> it.
>
> I then preceeded to compare the CD (16/44) quality flac with the
> downsampled (24/48) flac files using an SB+ -> Naim 102/Hicap pre amp
> -> Naim 140 power amp and Linn KanII speakers.
>
> Could I tell the difference? Well I'm not sure, there were probably
> some small differences but certainly nothing black and white, I'm sure
> I couldn't pick out one from the other in a blind test. In fact both
> versions sounded fantastic, the music seems to have been extremely well
> recorded and they certainly aren't mastered to be as loud as possible
> like lots of the current CD's are.

I have done basically the same test using Claire Martin and Carol Kidd
Tracks.  When I used a SB3 with an external upsampling DAC I thought
that the 24/48 sounded better than the 16/44.1, however with the SB+
using its internal DACs I really cannot hear the difference.  Of course
with 24/48 the 192K upsampler is really operating in 192 kHz 4x
oversampling mode. Not sure if this makes a difference or not.
Patrick?

--
adrianh1960