bigfool1956;257662 Wrote:
> From what I've read about the new HD versions of DTS, they also use an
> original lossy DTS core and add a second layer to it to make it
> lossless.

I guess technically speaking, this is how FLAC (and all other lossless
codecs?) work anyway. You first approximate the signal with some
function, and then generate the much lower amplitude error stream
(residual) which is them compressed by something like rice encoding.
Add the two together and you restore the original signal.

What's new here is that the lossy stream is designed to be both compact
and listenable per se, without including the residual. It doesn't seem
to me that would be the case for DTS.

--
seanadams