>it's not clear whether audio outputs are fixed or variable

On the rear panel to the left DA1 PRE has a button switch control. You
can switch between Output level-Calibrated, Mute, Variable.

>What about balanced outputs, fixed or variable?

I think a user have the possibility of selecting this.

> Can the analog audio input be passed out through balanced outputs?

There are two analog outputs. I hope it does.

> In my experience, if one wants to go with the external DAC, than it's
worth exploring the possibility to delete the preamp. And (again in my
experience :) )analog volume control beats passive attenuation in
usability.

It deletes the need for a preamp. DAC1 PRE has a analog volume control.

--
eiret