Phil Leigh;261499 Wrote:
> I'd go out on a limb and say that this problem is now materially solved
> when using something like EAC or similar which will "try try and
> try again" to get the bits off...
>
> I suppose you could argue that AccurateRip doesn't prove we are getting
> the right bits, only the same bits...but this seems a very unlikely
> outcome to me.
I agree the problem is solved by a combination of EAC and better drive
design.  Not only do AccurateRip checksums match, but I see many
telltale signatures that give me confidence that ripping is accurate.
One such signature is the HDCD psuedo-random bitstream.  Programs, such
as hdcd.exe look for this sequence, and while it is repeated several
times when it occurs and periodically throughout the disc, it will not
be detected if the bitstream is not substantially bit-correct.

On mono CD tracks, I try to collapse them down to a mono WAV file
before encoding.  While I've never seen a mono CD with numerically
identical tracks, I've seen:

1.  Mono CDs where the audio is numerically identical except for the
low-level dither.  While collapsing this to mono doesn't offer any
audible advantage, it does save FLAC from having to encode the random
dither difference.

2.  Mono CDs encoded from a mono analog source with a stereo ADC.  This
is quite common.  Ususally results in a low level difference due to the
inevitable channel imbalance.

3.  Mono CDs where the mono source tape was played on a stereo tape
machine through a stereo endcoding chain.  Also surprisingly common.
Differencing the channels usually highlights azimuth errors and
tracking errors as well as oxide shedding, folds and other tape flaws.

4.  Mono CDs where stereo reverb was added to a mono source.

For (1), (2) and (3), I usually just try to pick the best channel and
use it for encoding the mono FLAC, for (4), often summing the channels
gets rid or most or all of the reverb.

Anyway, particularly mono CDs where the channels are numerically
identical except the dither give me confidence in the ripping process.
Every once in a while I have seen such a CD where there are occasional
mismatching samples.  Interstingly enough, I get identical mismatching
samples ripping on different drives and AccurateRip says that the rip
is good.  I can only speculate that maybe this is the result of the
1630 conceiling an error when the U-Matic tape was played back to cut
the glass master, so such an error is embedded in the CD itself.

--
Timothy Stockman