haraldo;266373 Wrote:
> Have you observed, for instance, how the Benchmark DAC1 behavies via the
> USB interface, the DAC1 is amongst the best performing devices there is
> when it comes to jitter rejection.
> However, through USB it's not even close to Audiophile standards, check
> out Stereophile.

This was related to a bug in iTunes that JA has used in his review. The
bug causes a non bit-perfect transmission. More info can be found in the
moster Benchmark thread on head-fi.org
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/benchmark-dac1-now-available-usb-223006/index113.html

DAC1usb is a proof that a usb can be done well but it involves
carefully selecting software player so there is always this dependancy
to get the maximum performance.
The new async usb dacs will have their own clock just like the
Transporter and this should eliminate the issue.

Having said that the usb is still not as flexible as ethernet/wifi and
Slimserver. Slimdevices are years ahead as far as user interface is
concerned and I wouldn't be surprised if the big boys such as Krell or
Wadia knock on their door one day asking for a license.

--
Kiep