cliveb;287281 Wrote:
> There's nothing theoretical about it - the SNR
> certainly does decrease as you increase digital attenuation.

Bad wording form my side. I was trying to say what you are saying,
i.e. that it might not be audible.

> But the important question is whether it's a big enough effect
> to be audible. Given the good noise performance of the Squeezebox DAC
> to start with, I don't believe it is of any practical significance.

I'm so far leaning towards an affirmative answer on that, at least if
one tries to by turning the SB volume to 40%, and listen to quiet
stuff. I might try again though.

> You will note, of course, that analogue attenuation in a preamp
> results in exactly the same SNR degradation since the power amp
> introduces constant noise.

How can this be the same ? Presumably the amp doesn't know what noise
is, and will amplify whatever noise it is being fed just as happily
as anything.

--
bhaagensen