agentsmith;295438 Wrote:
> I agree with that being a Naimee.  To me it is a Naim quality CD player
> plus a Transporte minus digital in.  I am sure sound wise it would at
> least give the Transporter a good run for the money.  Too bad it is
> sooo much money.  Surely the power supply and case isolation would be a
> lot more than the Transporter?

Personally and in my humble opinion, I really think that the Mac and
now Naim NMP come down to the fact that they both know they have to get
their hat in the ring, toe in the door, or whatever analogy you want to
use. Mac went the dress up somebody else’s proven product as a Mac
route. Naim looked at what was out there and decided they had to build
a product they could put their name on. With Mac setting the bar at
$6000, it made it easier for Naim to go over the top.

Sure I can see somebody building the audiophile of audiophile Network
Media Player. The one with the separate power supply, all digital in
another box, and all analog in yet another box while putting a price
tag on it that makes it the NMP to have (read second mortgage
expensive).

But I do not see Naim or Mac trying to do this. They want some skin in
the game and are going after the non-computer user that will not
believe ripped CDs can sound good unless a name like Mac or Naim is
associated with it. It is for the guy/gal that can use a CDP which
makes them able to “feed” a NMP that does it all for them. What really
surprised me about the Mac and the Naim was that they did not force you
to buy a DAC. When I heard they were going to make a NMP, I was sure it
was going to be a head unit with digital out only. But on reflection, I
guess that goes against the all in one box theory to get the non
computer using audiophile to buy a Network Media Player!

I think Wes Philips said it best in his review of the Mac MS750,
"There are still logical reasons why a consumer might buy a McIntosh
MS750, especially if cost is no constraint. In that case, go ahead and
get the Mac and the digital processor of your choice. But a little bit
of computer savvy, a $300 Slim Devices Squeezebox, and that same
processor will get you to the same sonic place for significantly
less."

Did you notice what I noticed? Wes says buy the Mac (if money isn't an
issue) and oh by the way also get the DAC of your choice. I just paid
$6000 and I still need to pay another $3000 for the DAC of my choice!?
I am with Wes on this one. Buy either the Transporter or put a Duet
with the Bel Canto's e.One DAC3 for NMP Audio Nirvana. The thousands
one saves can go to buy more CDs and bigger hard drives.

--
iPhone

iPhone

Last.FM http://www.lastfm.com/user/mePhone

Media Room:
Transporter, Vandersteen Quatro Signature, Ayre MX-R Mono Blocks, VTL
TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, VCC-5 Reference Center Channel, four VSM-1
Signatures, Runco 710, RAM Oppo DV970HD, VeraStarr 6.4SE

Living Room:
SqueezeBox Duet, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2,
Two VSM-1, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold

Bedroom:
Squeezebox 3, Thiel 2.3, NAD C370