Bob,

Thanks for the clarification between the 2 units.  So are the
"audiophiles" saying the SB3 is better than the SBR or vice versa?

As for the oppo 980, I love it so far.  I came from owning the 970
also.  I have used it for both SACD, DVD-A, and CD's.  The osund is
very good and the DAC's do a great job considering its price point.  I
will be using it for Multi ch music via HDMI to my yamaha 2600 receiver
and its analog outs into my 2 ch pre-amp.  I think the differences
between these oppos and higher end CD players would be very small and
difficult to hear.  You have to pay alot in order to get that last few
percent of sonic bliss, probably:)

Later,
Brandon

--