Probably not quite the right forum, but would be interested if anyone
could shed any light on this.

I have just bought an M-audio Audiophile 2496 sound card to record LP
-> Wave files -> FLAC to be played through a SB Duet setup.

Unfortunately the 2496 locks the computer up (frozen screen & cursor
needing hard reset) after about 10-20 seconds of recording - reliably,
without fail.

I have tried all sorts of solutions but have now all but given up on it
and am preparing to RMA it, unless M-audio tech support come up with any
miracle cure.

What I would be interested to know from you lot is how much difference
would I notice between a recording done through the 2496 and one done
through my motherboard's on-board sound chip?

I have always found the mantra "rubbish in, rubbish out" and "source
first" to be generally true.  So bearing in mind the source is
top-notch (Linn LP12, Lingo, Ecos, ATOC9, Naim 72/Hi-cap) would I
really notice any difference?  If so how would it manifest itself?

Thanks for your views!

--
TheLastMan

Matt