I used a Behringer DEQ2496 for around a year in between my digital
transport (CD transport) and external DAC (Bel Canto DAC2).
In the room in question, I found it to be VERY useful, as the room had
serious audio issues and make my system sound pretty rubbish.

Having said that, I then moved into a newer house with a much better
listening room, which pretty much removed the requirement for the 2496.
In that context, I found the impact on sound quality to be unacceptably
high.  It really isn't quite as transparent as we'd like to think (or
hope).  Note that this was using the 2496 with only a digital input and
output, and with minimal manually applied room correction to only deal
with a bass overhang.

In short, if you have a decent room, don't bother as it'll be more
damaging than useful.  In a really naff room, can be very useful.

--
Mr_Sukebe

SB+, Bel Canto Evo2i, Impulse Ta'us, Coherent system cables, Stillpoints