Since you have a receiver which probably has a decent optical in, and
the SB3 has a good quality optical out, the answer is YES you should
try a qualitiy optical cable. This cable should be glass rather than
plastic. The plastic ones can perform poorly. By using Toslink you gain
electrical isolation between your receiver and the SB, and you also are
immune to the effects of radio frequencies while in the cable, each
which may improve the sound. You may or may not notice a difference in
your system/room.

Note that at high frequency transmissions optical cable is more
limited, but this is not a problem with the SB3 since it tops out at
24bit/48k which the glass can handle with ease. Co-ax cable is a better
chioce if you need to do a long run, greater than about 1.5 meters,
since there is much greater attenuation of signal in the optical cable
over longer distances.

I use a Cardas Lightening Digital co-ax cable or a Harmony Optical One
glass optical cable to connect my SB3 to my Channel Island DAC. I dont
hear any difference between them, they both sound great. I threw away
the plastic Toslink and  RCA jumper cables that I used to use, because
they both sound dull and flat in comparison.

--
Provos