Phil Leigh;328693 Wrote:
>  Bring back wire recorders and wax cylinders? aaaargh!

Now hold on a minute, there!  I happen to own an Edison Standard Model
B cylinder record player that I rebuilt to full functionality.  If you
haven't heard one you can't know how pure an experience it is!  The
recording process was 100% acoustic.  The 100% acoustic playback is on
a constant linear velocity cylinder meaning there will be no FM of the
background noise as the cylinder spins.

Engineering is about compromises- making things "almost as good but
cheaper".  ALL audio reproduction systems since the Edison cylinder
have been attempts to make music playback "almost as good but cheaper".
First there was the introduction of constant angular velocity discs,
then they added electronics to the recording process, then to the
playback process, then transistors replaced tubes, then CDs replaced
discs and (ugh!) tapes and everything went digital.  If you really want
to be shocked, play a recording on your CD player then play the same on
a cylinder player.  There is NO contest, the cylinder wins hands-down.

TD

--
tyler_durden