rksingla;335371 Wrote:
> I am a newbie to digital musi.. I ripped the CDs using Max for Macintosh
> at *MP3 VBR.*

Wow - kudos to you for having the bravery to post in an [audiophile]
forum and admit that you ripped your collection in MP3 VBR!  ;^P

To improve sound quality, for one I'd throw out that lossy-MP3-ripped
collection and re-rip it in a lossless format (such as FLAC).  Part of
your sound could stem from the fact that MP3 - no matter what bit rate
- tends to compress and "craptize" any audio!

As to why your sound is distorted... I am assuming you are inputting
your sound via analog RCA cables?  While that shouldn't have much to do
with it, make sure the RCA input on your 90's Sony system isn't PHONO,
as this could cause a bit of a problem.

Also, when you ripped your CD's did you have some sort of amp-gain
setting on your files?

I'm sure others will chime in here eventually.

Cheers,

EnochLight

--
EnochLight