>> Exotic audiophile cables are luxury goods. The manufacturers and
suppliers of
>> luxury goods invest a lot of time and effort building positive
associations
>> that their customers pick up along with the product.
>
> They are being lied to.

Lied is too strong. Marketing is about creating a positive subjective
impression by misleading and building associations that do not exist
objectively. A few magic cable companies cross the line and make false
objective statements (lies) but they are the exception rather than the
rule. Most cable company bumpf is too vague and incomprehensible to be
pinned down to something concrete as can be seen from Opaqueice's
example above.

> Basically you are saying ignorance is bliss and ends justify the
means.

Not in the slightest.

Ignorance is a requirement to be an audiophile but it does not seem to
lead to bliss. Once sound quality is above a fairly modest threshold
non-audiophiles will hear only the music - bliss. Audiophiles on the
other hand will divert some of their attention to the sound of the
equipment, what other people think of the equipment, etc... - not
bliss.

If audiophiles could fool themselves into really believing in the magic
then maybe it would lead to bliss but if you read some of the postings
from audiophiles preparing to test their abilities to perceive
audiophile magic it is clear that only a small number are true
believers. Most have doubts when they get called, bluster and then back
out.

>> So why don't you enjoy being smarter than an audiophile believer?
>
> I am not that shallow.

I would suggest that there is a big difference between wishing to be
seen as smart when talking to an audiophile and actually being smart.
The latter is something almost wholly beneficial and to be enjoyed. It
is not shallow.

>> Don't you feel you have grown wiser from the experience? Isn't that
worth
>> some mild embarrassment and a bit of money?
>
> I have to pay and be embarrassed because we allow these con masters
to operate
> and that's a good thing?

Being wiser is a good thing. The price is a bit of embarrassment and
some money. You don't think the pros outweighed the cons for you with
audio cables?

People value knowledge differently and audiophiles are obviously at the
opposite end of the spectrum to those that are interested in how the
world works. They tend to believe that everyone should perform
experiments for themselves to determine the performance of audiophile
products. This type of thinking started to wane centuries ago when we
emerged from the Dark Ages and people wanted to do something about
educating themselves and their children in order to better cope with
the world around them.

> Lets con kids and teach them a lesson, those idiots can be talked
into
> anything.

Indeed. One has the choice of expecting society to remove all nasties
or teaching kids how to recognise and deal with the nasties. When it
comes to harmless silly luxury goods like magic cables I know which I
prefer.

> We are so lost that we need to ignore the truth in order to be
'happy'.

I am not sure happiness has much to do with being an audiophile. To me
it looks more to do with raising social status. Comparing equipment is
really important to audiophiles and they consider themselves to be
sophisticated when it comes to appreciating musical reproduction.
Unfortunately their basis is a set of "flat-earth" beliefs which are
largely recognised as such by the mainstream which is most unhelpful in
this respect.

> When someone exploits that we shouldn't be quiet. Unless you don't
care of
> course, more power to you.

I think we may view the situation differently and consequently care
about different things. Although a close call, on balance I think
audiophile cables and the audiophile industry are a good thing.

The downside is that it encourages faith over evidence. Using this to
flog luxury goods like audiophile cables that are poor value in terms
of technical performance is not a problem in itself because it is
harmless. This is mostly certainly not the case in other areas where
faith over evidence leads to substantial harm and I do tend to get a
bit worked up. But I will stay on topic here.

The upside is that the developed world has a home audio industry with
all the benefits that derive from this. After the boom of the 60/70s
producing home audio in the developed world to be sold on technical
performance was no longer really viable and companies that continued
trying to do this largely ceased trading although many of the brands
still exist today. The home audio companies in the developed world that
were successful switched to using a strategy based on marketing
perceived performance which was only possible because the home audio
consumer press also changed dramatically in order to allow such an
approach. The mainstream audiophile industry was born and after a year
or two people like Noel Lee recognised that it could not only be used
to shift uncompetitive home audio products (in a technical sense) but
also de-commoditise products like cables.

--
honestguv