opaqueice;345280 Wrote:
> Dropped packets that can't be re-sent don't make a subtle difference in
> the sound.  They make it stop.

Exactly. Which is why I don't think this is what the guy means. I don't
think you need to be an audiophile to tell when the network can't keep
up.

tonny;345266 Wrote:
> This HiFi dealer also can hear differences between diffent NAS:es too..
> :-0

No, this is definitely true. But it's more a difference in playback
speed. If the data is on the *outside* rings of the hard drive
platters, further from the spindle, then it gets read faster - at a
constant angular velocity, you cover more distance per unit time on the
outside tracks, as linear velocity is faster towards the edge of the
plarter than it is at the center of the platter.

So if you don't want your music to sound faster or slower than
originally intended, you should try to keep your data in the middle of
the platters. He probably knows of some NAS devices that have a special
algorithm that does just this.

--
androidtopp

My SB3 is the most expensive part of my stereo. So I'm not going to brag
about it.

http://www.last.fm/user/androidtopp