As you know, I have a stock digital-only TACT RCS 2.2x behind my SB3.
I've been poking around inside it (see looking at spdif on scope
thread) and in desperation I wondered if the stock SMPS supply in it is
really as "bad" as many other users claim. I can't afford $600 for the
Aberdeen supply at the moment, so I picked up a nice, unused Lambda
Series H 5v 3amp linear supply from eBay for...£6. I then hard-wired it
to the mains and the TACT m-board with decent cable, removing the old
smps and filtered IEC. I wasn't expecting to hear any difference.

OK so how wrong was I? It's completely and obviously improved (not just
different) even in bypass mode it sounds better. It's rather hard to dbt
this, so I resorted to my usual control test in such circumstances - my
family.

2 hours later (and many tracks we haven't played in ages) - the
conclusion was that this is a significant change for the better.

I guess I was wrong all these years.

If you have a stock TACT, try a (good) replacement PSU. It works.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)