Themis;373413 Wrote:
> I understand the tests, don't worry. ;)

You say so, but then you say...

> But the way the tests are made is only valid if (and only if) the
> differences are equally distributed along the examined samples.

which is completely wrong.

With sufficient statistics, these tests will find -any- ability to
discern differences, no matter how small or uneven, even if the
experimenter is too rigid or dumb to adapt the test to focus on the
interesting cases.  For example even if 9 out of 10 pairs of samples
were absolutely identical, so that only the 10th pair had audible
differences, a test which equally treated all 10 pairs would -still-
find a statistically significant difference if you took enough data.
In a more realistic case, where the differences were easier to hear in
some samples and harder in others, the test would do just fine.

Moreover the experimenter has the discretion to "zoom in" on segments
and/or listeners that look promising, so if there was one "good" sample
it would be trivial to focus on it and exclude the rest.

The facts are that these tests are skewed very much in favor of the
listener - they will detect even a very poor ability to hear something.
And yet, time after time after time, audiophiles that claim to be able
to hear "night and day" differences in (say) cables fail miserably when
blind.

It's -totally- obvious (based on countless such experiments and the
last century of science on hearing and perception and psychology) to
any sensible person why this is, and yet audiophiles continue to ignore
the elephant in the room.

--
opaqueice