Quad;396261 Wrote:
> When I first came across lossless formats a couple of years ago, I made
> the following test (not my idea, seen this somewhere):
>
> - Ripping a CD track to WAV with EAC
> - Converting the track to APE
> - Invert the phases of the original WAV (using Samplitude)
> - Play both tracks at the same time (using Samplitude)
>
> Result: complete absolute silence even at maximum volume
>
> I've never done this test with FLAC. But since then I have no doubts
> that lossless actually is lossless...

That's what I would expect - you are operating purely in the digital
domain and cancellation of two identical phase-inverted numeric files
is pretty much guaranteed to be perfect.

These tests are in the analogue domain and so will reveal what is
happening AFTER the DAC - the place where the magic happens. Any
changes caused by jitter, drifting clocks, random electrons etc will be
audible. So far this is proving fascinating.

For example, the difference between a FLAC and 190/256/320 MP3 is
pretty startling. The difference between streaming FLAC vs PCM seems to
be... none. The effect of muting the analogue circuits of the SB3 on the
digital output seems to be...none.

However, it's early days and I want to make sure my test results are
repeatable.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)