pfarrell;396928 Wrote:
> Phil Leigh wrote:
> > Well sure the software is working in the digital domain, but the
> signals
> > it is analysing are analogue in origin (ie the output from my DAC).
>
> All signals have origins in analog.
>
> So you have
>
> SB -> thing to test -> DAC --> ADC --> software to analyze
> or for some tests
> SB -> thing to test        --> ADC --> software to analyze
> or to test the DAC
> SB ->               -> DAC --> ADC --> software to analyze
>

> > the sample clocks are drifting.
>
> they do that. Its a feature.
>
> Are you using the stereo pair to test, with one signal straight
> through
> and the other through your tube amp, EQ, long cable,
>
> This would look more like
>
> SB(r)                  --> ADC --> software to analyze
> SB(l) -> thing to test --> ADC --> software to analyze
>
> Depending on the thing, it may stay in sync. Anything that does
> digital
> signal processing will have at least two 44.1kHz sample size delays,
> its
> a feature as well. Most digital effects have a constant latency.
>
> --
> Pat Farrell
> http://www.pfarrell.com/

Pat - my basic test rig is:

SB3 - spdif - DAC - l+r out - soundcard ADC l+r input.

Then I can add in some digital stuff between SB and DAC, or add in the
tube line stage after the DAC but before the ADC.

Tonight I'm going to try some more mp3's. What "type" of music do you
think would be a good test? - I have a pretty wide set of genres &
artists to choose from...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 wired + Stontronics PSU - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations
S/W - Altmann JISCO - MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 -
Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans,Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boom