raven22;402668 Wrote:
> I'm using a SB3 for some time now and because of wife and kids I'm
> listening quite often to the headphone out of the SB3.
>
> My headphone is a Sennheiser HD600 and I'm sure it can do better than i
> hear via the sb3. But i have no headphone amp and my preamp has no
> headphone out.
>
> How are your experiences with the SB3 headphone out? And how much do i
> have to spend on a headphone amp to make it sound a decent bit better?

Not really knowing exactly what you mean by "a decent bit better" I'll
still have go at answering your question.

First let's go over what you have: a very good pair of full size
headphones, the Sennheiser HD600s and one SB3 - so far so good.

Update:

I just show your post indicating that you already have an external DAC
so what you are looking at is just a dedicated headphone amp and there
are plenty of very good ones to chose from. I suggest that you head
over to the forums at www.head-fi.org and ask over there for some
advice on a good headphone amp in any given price range.

Basically your facing two related but different issues:

1) The built-in headphone amp in the SB3

2) The built-in DAC (digital to analog converter) in the SB3

Here's the problem: neither of these "built-in" items is anyway near
the quality of the HD600s. So in addition to the dedicated headphone
amp you mentioned in your post, you should also consider getting a
dedicated DAC so that you you bypass both of these built-in limits.

There are several very good DACs on the market as well as many very
good headphone amps plus there are also several headphone amps with
their own built-in DACs so you have many choices. As far as price goes
you're looking at anywhere from $400 and up for either two separate
units (DAC & amp) or a combination unit (amp with built-in DAC).

I use two different Headroom Desktop amps each with a built-in DAC for
both my bedroom and my computer room setups. I connect the digital
output of the SB3 (bedroom) and the digital output of the Receiver
(computer room) to the digital input of the Headroom amp and everything
sounds great. The DACs in both Headroom units provide much better sound
than the DACs in the SB3 and the Receiver plus the amplifier section of
each Headroom unit provides plenty of power to properly drive my pair of
HD600s - they truly shine when played back through this setup. A basic
Headroom Desktop amp with a DAC starts at $1000 but you can sometimes
find one used for substantially less. I know that there are other very
good products available but I'm not that familiar with them since I'm
quite happy with both of my setups.

I realize that the price may seem a bit steep but using just a
headphone amp will mean that you're just providing more power to drive
a not so great signal (the analog output of the SB3) so to really solve
the problem you should consider using a dedicated external DAC. Plus you
can connect the output of the DAC to the input of your preamp and also
improve the sound when listening through your speakers.

One word of caution: make sure that whatever external DAC you plan on
getting has digital inputs which are compatible with the digital
outputs of the SB3, in other words, not just a USB input since the SB3
DOES NOT have a USB output.

Here's the info on the SB3's digital outputs:

Digital S/PDIF outputs

* Optical and coax digital connections
* Dedicated high-precision crystal oscillators (no PLL, no
resampling)
* Standard IEC-958 (S/PDIF) encoding
* Optical connector: TOSLINK 660nm
* Coax connector: RCA, 500mVpp into 75 ohms
* Sample rates: 44.1Khz, 48Khz
* Audio format: linear PCM, 16 or 24 bits per sample
* Intrinsic jitter: less than 50ps (standard deviation)

I think that you now have enough info to start googling your way to
better sound.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2