dtash123;409798 Wrote:
> I've been a satisfied SB3 user for over 5 years but still have problems
> with the wireless signal "cutting out". I am considering running a 50'
> ethernet cable from my Verizon Fios router directly to the ethernet
> input of the SB3.
> Will doing this degrade the sound quality in any way and are there any
> recommendations for the set-up and type of cable.

Opening a can of worms... Some audiophiles feel quite the opposite -
that using wireless introduces a source of RFI that is best avoided.

Ethernet cable?  Doesn't matter.  Whatever Lowes or Best Buy or
whatever you can find cheaper online will work all the same.   If it's
going to be visible, pick a color that you like.  If it's not going to
be run in the wall you want a flexible (stranded wires) "patch cable"
with the plugs already on both ends.  Don't fiddle with trying to crimp
your own connectors onto patch cables.

If it's going to be run in the wall then you'll want the stiffer solid
core cable, Cat 5e or Cat 6.  You can find small spools of it at Home
Depot or Lowes, or else they may be able to cut custom lengths for you.
Then you'll need two jacks for either end, a punchdown tool (a cheap
one is a couple bucks or one may even be included with the jacks), wall
plates or surface mount boxes, then two short patch cables for either
end that will run from the jacks to your Squeezebox and network switch
respectively.  Do a Google search if you plan on running in-wall
wiring.  There are a lot of helpful guides.

--
JJZolx

Jim