I tested a Cambridge DacMagic side-by-side against my Benchmark DAC1 Pre
($1595), both taking simultaneous input from the SB3's optical and coax
digital outputs. (And I even tried swapping which DAC got the optical
and which got the coax, to make sure a possible difference there wasn't
contributing to what I was hearing.) I hooked up both DACs to the inputs
on my Opera Consonance 2A3 tube amp so I could change back and forth
between the DACs just by flipping a switch on the amp. It wasn't a real
blind test, but the input switch on this amp is on the side and not
visible from my operating or listening positions. I left everything
hooked up that way for about a week, and generally when I started a
listening session, I didn't remember which position the switch was in
from the last time, so I just listened without knowing which DAC I was
listening to until I checked. Of course, the comparison was complicated
by the three filter choices on the DacMagic, but most of the time, I had
it set to the Linear filter.

In general, my conclusions:

- These two DACs do sound different, but the sonic differences were
surprisingly small.
- The DacMagic's bass output might actually go a tad deeper than the
DAC1, but the latter's bass seemed slightly more natural.
- I could not distinguish a difference in the midrange sound between
the DACs.
- Treble was marginally smoother on the DAC1, but that difference
shrank even smaller when the DacMagic was set to the Minimum filter.
- Overall, the Benchmark DAC1 Pre did come out on top, but the
Cambridge DacMagic came frighteningly close for a product at 1/4 the
price. If I hadn't had the Benchmark unit there for direct comparison,
I probably would have been quite satisfied with the DacMagic sound.

--
TiredLegs