seanadams;420350 Wrote:
> ZIP might, but audio compression works differently. FLAC for eample has
> a run-length block type but that is to deal with identical samples, i.e.
> digital silence. There's no case to handle this kind of pattern and I
> don't see why you'd want one - if you think that putting 16-bit numbers
> in 24-bit buckets is going to make them sound better, then I would think
> the increased file size would be desirable to help reinforce the placebo
> effect. ;)

Sorry Sean the files will come out about the same. It does recognize
essentially zero net new content. A huffman code scheme would do it.

I did flac to flac to assure it's using the same version of flac.
I did flac to 24bit wav to flac (same compression level default 5).

They are nearly identical in size.

24bit (27.25MB 8 LSBs are zero)
16bit (27.19MB)

Used dbpoweramp reference 13.2 with it's built in flac. Older versions
of flac a couple years back yielded the same results.

Artist ABBA
Title ABBA / Dancing Queen
Album Gold: Greatest Hits
Track 01
Disc
Genre Rock
Year 1992
Rating
Composer
Size 27.25 MB  (54% Compressed)
Original Size 58.59 MB
Length 3 minutes 52 seconds
Channels 2  (stereo)
Sample Rate 44.1 KHz{CR}
Sample Size 24 bit
Bit Rate 2,116 kbps  (DVD)
Encoder FLAC reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917
Encoder Settings
Audio Quality Perfect (Lossless)
Contains CRC, ID Tag [Vorbis Comments]
Channel Mapping
File 01 - ABBA - Dancing Queen
Type flac File    [.flac]

Artist ABBA
Title ABBA / Dancing Queen
Album Gold: Greatest Hits
Track 01
Disc
Genre Rock
Year 1992
Rating
Composer
Size 27.19 MB  (31% Compressed)
Original Size 39.06 MB
Length 3 minutes 52 seconds
Channels 2  (stereo)
Sample Rate 44.1 KHz{CR}
Sample Size 16 bit
Bit Rate 1,411 kbps
Encoder FLAC reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917
Encoder Settings
Audio Quality Perfect (Lossless)
Contains CRC, ID Tag [Vorbis Comments]
Channel Mapping
File 01 - ABBA - Dancing Queen
Type flac File    [.flac]

And no cracks on the song, it was the first in my library.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000, DSP5500HC,
DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)