duke43j;421389 Wrote:
> I don't have a transporter, but I can bring the wine and snacks if you
> can show me the difference between the SB3 analog out vs. an external
> DAC.
> I've been thinking about springing for an external DAC for quite a
> while, but I am not sure if there will be $1K worth of improvement. I've
> read all these great reviews of the Benchmark, so I was leaning toward
> it. But the technology has improved since it first came out, and I would
> think there must be equivalent (or better) DACs on the market at a lower
> price.
>
> My system is -- SB3 or Rega Apollo CDP => VTL 2.5 pre => Classe CA-2100
> amp => Thiel CS2.4s.
>
> I like the sound of the Rega CDP, but I like the convenience of the
> SB3. I would love to have both.

Duke – I’ve heard, but not listened extensively to the DAC1.  I have
done extensive auditioning of the transporter vs PS Audio DL-III.
Clearly – and I mean clearly audible, appreciable and noticeably better
(more transparent, more controlled –especially in the bass, more airy,
and with more defined soundstage) – the stock DL-III outperformed the
transporter.  You can now pick up a brand new DL-III from PS Audio for
$699.  I also did extensive A/B comparisons between the stock DL-III and
my Cullen Stage IV upgraded DL-III.  The Cullen DAC outperformed the
stock unit in a way that was also noticeable and apparent (but not as
noticeable as was the difference between the stock DL-III and the
transporter).  In terms of this hobby’s typical diminishing returns, I
believe that the additional $700 for the Stage IV upgrade is justifiable
by the slight gains in fidelity.  That said however, before you spring
for the Cullen upgrade, I would suggest that you try to audition the
stock unit with a Cullen unit.

Hope this helps.

--
timequest