dekaliber;421996 Wrote:
> I'm currently doing some A/B testing of the Squeezebox v3 with a Channel
> Islands VDA-2 + VAC-1 power supply.  The SB is connected via digital
> coax to the CI amp, which is connected to input 1 in my NAD M3
> integrated.  The SB also has its RCA outs to input 2 in the same amp.
>
> I've been switching between them and the difference is quite
> pronounced, but I just want to make sure it's not an artifact of the two
> outputs having different volume levels, or perhaps the CI unit
> introducing slight gain.  Off the bat (with about 15 minutes of
> listening), the CI DAC sounds much more engaging and the bottom end is
> noticeably more present.  Switching back to the SB's analog outs, the
> sound is leaner and less forward.  There is really a dramatic difference
> in overall presence.  Much, much more than I expected to hear, which is
> what's making me a little suspicious.
>
> Can anyone familiar with the hardware chime in?  As far as I know, all
> of the input on the NAD M3 have the same gain.

The levels could be quite different and you should calibrate the levels
to compare objectively. I'm not 100% sure but I think you can adjust the
analog output volume of the SB3 while keeping the digital outputs fixed
at max so that you can match things up.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)