There was a long thread a couple of years ago which concluded - I
believe Sean confirmed it though I couldn't now swear to that - that
reducing the volume of the SB's digital outputs below about 90 per
cent also significantly degraded audio quality. It starts throwing
other bits away, I seem to recall. See also the current "Transporter
into amp or pre-amp" thread (TAS says that's what happens with the
Transporter).

Geraint.