ralphpnj;423908 Wrote:
> Ouch, Darren you're being awfully sensitive there. But that is kind of
> my point in that Stone goes on and on about this, at least to me, very
> minor point. In fact it's as if he's looking for something bad to say
> about the Transporter and can only come up with the volume control
> issue.
>
> I do think that music streaming devices, be they made by LogiTech or by
> some other company, are giving the high end audio world fits since these
> devices all seem to punch way above their weight. Even the lowly SB3,
> when coupled with a decent outboard DAC, is capable of outperforming
> many mega-buck CD transports.
>
> I have the highly regarded McCormark UDP-1 in my main system along with
> a Transporter and the Transporter is very much the equal of the UDP-1.
> In fact, if it wasn't for the UDP-1's ability to play DVD-Audio and SACD
> discs I would have sold it awhile ago and freed up some valuable shelf
> space. Plus the Transporter has balanced analog outputs, something one
> rarely finds in CD players and DACs in the Transporter's price range.
>
> At this point in time it appears that the high end audio community is
> going to take the same approach that music industry is taking with
> regards to music streaming, music servers and other forms of non-silver
> disc based playback - give it passing mention but otherwise, for all
> intents and purposes, place their heads firmly in the sand and hope that
> these things just go away.
Not being sensitive at all. Insensitive maybe. :)

I think we're in agreement in general about the culture of throwing
money at a problem. I've heard better systems than mine but I know
changing my source - or adding a DAC - is NOT going to get me there!
Technically speaking, the latest inexpensive digital sources actually
perform just as well (and in some cases better) than some VERY expensive
older digital sources and that's a fact. Coming from an IT background I
find the idea that stuff gets better AND cheaper just fine! For others
it seems counter-intuitive.

So, as I read it, we agree in principle. But differ in our particular
standards of quality. :) You seem to be happy with the Transporter and
I'm happy with an SB3. I WOULD consider buying a better source or
outboard DAC but it's a lower priority aspect for me.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.

(Inguz bass EQ'd) SB3 -> (pre bypassed) Krell KAV-300i -> PMC AB-1
(caps bass EQ'd) Laptop -> Genius Slab SW-flat2.1 700
SB3 / Rio Karma / Laptop -> JVC UX-C30 / Sennheiser PX-100