My opinion is that we can waist time and money trying to chase the
"latest and greatest upgrades" when what we should focus on is what
specifically is it about the sound that we have NOW - what do we like
and what do we dislike. To try to "cure" what we dislike is a more
fruitful pursuit than trying to find something "new".

If the sound is harsh then we need to look at the solid state side of
the equation. What is causing the harshness. Is it digital side or the
analog side or a combo of both? I'm not saying that it is easy to find
the answer to that, but when we look for a piece of equipment to improve
that side of the equation then we need to stay focused on the goal. In
the case of harshness, I think that a person can substitute various
front ends and see if there is any real change. If not then try the amp.
Sometimes they are both wrong. Sometimes its the speakers and cables,
but I feel they do largely what they are told (the old GIGO adage).
Speakers can be tweaked but first you have to get the front end and
amplification right.

I'm sure some will differ with this approach, but I have saved tones of
money by looking at the simple solutions instead of constantly selling
my stuff off at a %50 loss on ebay etc.

I still have a 8 yr old MSB Link DAC lll that I probably will never
sell because it does so much right! I use it as part of my "reference"
equipment if and when I get the itch to replace a piece of equipment
(especially a DAC). Even though I'm not using the MSB now, any DAC that
I consider buying will have to blow away the MSB!

enjoy

--
earwaxer