ashmore;469722 Wrote:
> a £150 SB is equivalent to CD player costing, say £800. As I don't need
> such a CD player I effectively have £650 more to spend on my speaker
> upgrade...
The first assumption is not true, most of the time. Nevertheless,
whether the £650 are worth the difference, or whether they could be
"better spent" on speakers (or whatever), that's entirely up to you.

IMHO, I would say that a "reasonable" expense scheme would be :
2/3 on speakers
1/3 on amplifier
if the sum of the above is over £1200-1500, then you can consider
investing £200-300 on a modern dac (that you'll keep until your system's
value reaches £5000).

Roughly.

--
Themis

SB3 - North Star dac 192 - Denon 3808 - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus